Morse Code my Pasion

 Well this page is about my journey in my hobby of Amateur Radio, better know as Ham Radio.

In 1987 I finally took my 1st test and got my license.  For the next 6 months seems all I did was study and work on learning Morse Code.  After a few trips to VE testing sites I made my way to the top of the ladder.  I had a few call signs but enjoy the one I have now, N7RD.  I admit learning a new language is not the easiest of things to do.  After working so hard I just could not see giving up on it, so now 33 years later the only mode I operate it Morse Code, better know as CW in the radio world.  I can't think of a better way to express my enjoyment with the code than to say, it helps keep me thinking and makes me use my brain on a daily basis.  I am as of this writing 72 years old and yes I can see and feel my old body is breaking down from the years past.  My main concern is to keep my brain active, which the code achieves very well.  

With a starting speed of trying to send and copy 5 words per minute, I am now solid at 30 words per minute and can carry on a conversation at around 35 words per minute rather well.  What I enjoy more than anything is working with new operators, those that need some experience and help along the way.  I love to slow down and help them become relaxed and start to enjoy the learning of a new language.  We all had to start some where, none of us were born with it in our DNA, we all struggled and worked hard to obtain it, so don't give up and don't feel ashamed about making mistakes.  KEEP ON WORKING!


Hope to CU on the air,

Ron N7RD

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sept. 17, 2020